Beat the Experts™
The Game Where You Go Head-to-Head
With the Experts
Rules of Play
To be the first player to reach the Final Question space and win the game by winning the Final Question Card.
1. Each player chooses a pawn and places it on the start space.
2. Place the Brain Beater/ Did You Know Cards in a pile to the left of the game board.
3. Place the Expert Cards in a pile to the right of the game board.
4. Place a token on each of the 10 round spaces on the game board numbered 1- 10.
5. Select one Expert Card, and without looking at the card, slide it into the final question Card Sleeve to be used as the Final Question Card for the final round of the game.
6. Follow the instruction below when playing with more than 4 players. Each team acts as one player.
PLAYING THE GAME
1. The oldest player (Player 1) reads an Expert Card to the player on his/her left (Player 2). Player 1 reads aloud the expert's name and expert category.
2. Player 1 announces how many questions the expert answered correctly. S/he flips over the timer and begins quickly reading aloud the 10 questions on the card.
3. Player 2 answers as many questions on the card as s/he can before the timer runs out.
4. As Player 2 gives each answer, Player 1 announces whether s/he is right or wrong. For each question answered incorrectly, a token is removed from the corresponding number on the game board. (For example, Player 2 answers question 2 and 5 incorrectly, so s/he removes the tokens from the spaces marked with a 2 and a 5.)
5. When the timer runs out, Player 2 determines how many questions s/he answered correctly.
6. If Player 2 beats the expert (answers the same number or more questions correctly), s/he moves tot he next Expert space on the board.
7. If Player 2 does not beat the expert, s/he chooses to move to either the Brain Beater space or the Did You Know space in the next row. (See diagram on the right.)
8. Play then passes to the left and Player 2 becomes the new reader (Player 1).
9. Play through the Expert deck using only one side of the Expert Cards, then play the other side.
1. Expert spaces are marked with the letter E.
2. If a player beats an expert, s/he moves down to the next Expert space on the board.
3. On the player's next turn, s/he will be read an Expert Card.
4. For instructions on Expert Card game play, see numbers 2- 7 under Playing the Game.
*BRAIN BEATER SPACES*
1. Brain Beater spaces are marked with a brain icon.
2. For his/her next turn, the player is read a question from a Brain Beater Card by the player to his/her left.
3. Players move one space left, toward the Expert space, for each correct answer they give up to a maximum of 5.
4. If a player gives more than the required number of answers to reach the Expert space, s/he places his/her pawn on the Expert space. (A player cannot move past an Expert space.)
5. If a player reaches the Expert space, on his/her next turn s/he is read an Expert Card.
6. If a player does not give enough correct answers to reach an Expert space, s/he waits until his/her next turn and answers another question from a Brain Beater Card.
7. Players must list enough correct Brain Beater answers to proceed to the Expert space.
8. Play through the entire Brain Beater Card deck using only the top questions on each card. After going through the deck once, read the bottom questions on each card.
*DID YOU KNOW SPACES*
1. Did You Know spaces are marked with a question mark icon.
2. For hi/her next turn, the player is read a question from a Did You Know Card by the player to his/her left.
3. If a player answers the Did You Know question correctly, s/he may move to the Expert space in that row.
4. If a player answers a Did You Know question incorrectly, s/he does not move and must answer a Did You Know question on his/her next turn.
5. Players must correctly answer a question from a Did You Know Card in order to proceed to the Expert space for their next turn.
6. Play through the entire Did You Know Card deck using only the top questions on each card. After going through the deck once, read the bottom questions on each card.
*FINAL QUESTION SPACE*
1. If a player ends his/her turn on the final Question space, all other players take one more turn. When play comes back to the player on the Expert space, that player becomes the Reader for the Final Question Card.
2. The Reader reads the Final Question Card aloud. (The card remains in the final question Card Sleeve so answers are hidden.)
3. All players (including the Reader) write down the answer to each question.
4. When all question have been answered, the reader reads the correct answers aloud.
5. Players tally the number of questions they answered correctly and announce it to the reader.
DETERMINING THE WINNER
Every player must beat the player who is first to reach the final question space. The number of questions each players needs to answer correctly to win the game is determined by how close s/he is to the Final Question space.
2nd Place: 1 more question correctly
3rd Place: 2 more questions correctly
4th Place: 3 more questions correctly
In the event of a tie, the player who was first to the Final Question space is the winner. If the first player to the Final Question space is not involved in the tie, then the player closest to the Final Question space is the winner.