Ages 3 and Up
2 to 4 Players
Object of the Game
Each of the sequences represents a story from an Eric Carle book, either the Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? sequence or the Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? sequence. The object is to be the first player to find all eight animal cards in the sequence and tell the resulting story.
1) Punch out all 36 cards.
2) Separate the 4 bear cards from the rest of the animal cards. Place the bear cards face down and shuffle them around. Each player chooses a bear card and turns it over. Players with brown bear cards sit in front of the brown bear picture sequence. Players with panda bear cards sit in front of the panda bear picture sequence.
3) Mix up the rest of the animal cards and spread them out face down in the center square of the game board. Note: use all of the cards, even if there are less than four players.
Playing the Game
1) The youngest player (Player 1) goes first.
2) Player 1 chooses any one card from the center square of the game board and flips it over so that all players can see it.
a. If the card matches any animal in his/her sequence, Player 1 picks it up and places it over the matching image of that animal on the game board in front of him/her. Player 1 then gets one additional turn (each player can pick up only two cards per turn).
b. If the card does not match any of the animals in his/her sequence, Player 1 flips the card face down again and his/her turn is over.
3) Play passes to the left, with the next player flipping over any card s/he chooses.
Note: Players pick up only ONE animal card per animal in their sequence (for example, if a player picks up “Red Bird” and already has a “Red Bird” card, then that player does not keep the card.) Also, the players can pick up the animal cards in any order (brown bear players do not need to find the “Red Bird” card first, for example).
4) When a player has matched all eight animal cards in their sequence, s/he recites the story, saying either,
“Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? I See A…
Red Bird, a Yellow Duck, a Blue Horse, a Green Frog,
a Purple Cat, a White Dog, a Black Sheep and a Goldfish
Looking At Me!”
“Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? I See A…
Bald Eagle, a Water Buffalo, a Spider Monkey, a Green Sea Turtle,
a Macaroni Penguin, a Sea Lion, a Red Wolf and a Black Panther
Wild and Free!”
The first player to complete his/her sequence and recite the story, wins the game!